A Ship of Fools
Tutor: Yael Karavan
Location: Evolution Arts, 2 Sillwood Terrace, Brighton & Hove BN1 2LR
Next date: weekend workshop - Saturday 29 October 2016 (2-6pm) & Sunday 30 October 2016 (11am-4pm)
- The workshop will offer a warm up composed from a variety of training tools; stretching, strength, centre, spontaneity, imagination, presence, physical awareness and rhythm.
- Work on the core/centre of the body increasing presence, grace and posture.
- Proposing various approaches to discovering your fools in a creative atmosphere.
- Suitable for all levels, no previous experience necessary.
- Please bring comfortable clothes for movement work and a hat of your choice.
What will this course cover?
The key concept of this work is that we each have a ship of fools within us. These fools represent the different traits that shape our personality. Each one of them, at a time, leads the boat; the lover, the thinker, the joker... We have so many characters within us that try to express themselves in various ways. I have thus developed methods of finding these 'traits' through the use of character-based games and exercises, searching to enable these various fools within us to reveal their stories, like a journey within our own archetypes.
Are you curious to discover who are the fools who inhabit you?
What is their story, existence, life to tell?
Photo by Javi Otero
About the tutor
Award winning performer, dancer and director Yael Karavan travelled through Europe, Russia, Japan and Brazil developing a contemporary, physical language of expression bridging east and west, dance and acting. She has created and performed seven solo shows, touring world-wide and has been, amongst others, a member of Derevo, multiple award winning Russian physical theatre company, as well as numerous Japanese Butoh dance troupes. Since 2009 she has been the artistic director of award winning site-specific company, the Karavan Ensemble. Karavan has been teaching workshops nationally and internationally since 1999.
‘Karavan’s physical discipline is extraordinary. Every pulse and movement count … all is communicated' TOTAL THEATRE
For more information see www.yaelkaravan.com